Thursday, November 24, 2011

Spirit of Thankfulness


It has been a tough year. No, let’s be honest—it’s been a tough 3-1/2 years. From the first diagnosis of cancer for Jeff, through his surgeries, some not cancer-related, to his final stay in the Hospice Center, we have been through the ringer. And then to deal now with my own diagnosis of breast cancer has felt like a punch in the gut.

I cannot say that I give thanks for these things. There may come a day when I can actually give thanks FOR them; I can’t imagine that day just yet, but I leave open the possibility.

I can give thanks in the midst of these things. And so I do, I give thanks for the love and commitment Jeff and I had for each other; I give thanks for our two sons; I give thanks for our granddaughter; I give thanks for my loving family, and for Jeff’s; I give thanks for how my congregation and friends have taught me to accept their gifts and support; I give thanks for having a truly amazing health insurance program through the Annual Conference that we could face these years without being entirely bankrupted; and I give thanks for having Life Insurance that enables us to stay in our home now.

I could go on and on. I think you catch my drift. I do give thanks in the midst of all circumstances for the will of God is that I see my life as a gift, and through God’s Spirit I am filled.

Thanks be to God.


1 Thessalonians 5:16-19
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the Spirit.

No comments: