Thursday, November 17, 2011

Growing Up


What do I want to be when I grow up? Or more to the point, what do I really want to do when I am on my own? That’s important to figure out because the day is coming in the not too distant future.
I have spent so many years juggling the desires and needs of others that I am not really sure what I want to do all on my own. I get little glimpses into this dilemma when I find myself home alone for several hours. I have never been a stay-at-home mom. I don’t find great joy in doing housework. I love to read but I need human stimulation as well. I like to cook but really for special occasions. I think I would like to weave again, but it’s been so long that I’m not sure. All of these are things that are mostly on the outside of me.
What I really want is to be, as Jen has said, “so full of Christ that there is no room for regrets.” This is especially true as I have faced once again the truth that all the plans I make for the distant or even not so distant future can be thrown awry at anytime.
The phrase that keeps coming to mind is one from the old RSV of the Bible: “into the fullness of the measure of the stature of Christ.” What do I want to be when I grow up, or when I am on my own? I want to be at peace with God, with myself, with my family, with my neighbors. I want to be so full of Christ that there is no room for regrets.

P.S. My surgery went well. The sentinel lymph nodes were clear of cancer. Now I wait for the word on when radiation begins. Thank you all for your prayers, cards, meals and support.



Ephesians 4:13
until all of us come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to maturity, to the measure of the full stature of Christ.

No comments: