Thursday, November 15, 2012

One Thing Amid Distractions


Today on my walk I reflected on Monday’s walk and how I became distracted from my purposeful stride, stopping at least twice for conversation, making me late for the rest of the day's work. Sometimes my life gets really full and I need to be reminded of what Jesus told Martha—that she was distracted by many things, and that Mary, in sitting at his feet, had chosen the better part, to be single of focus, to be mindful of the one thing that is needed. This brings peace and lightness to me as I imagine myself in Mary’s place, not distracted by the many things in the way.

Just before Jesus came to Martha’s house, he told a story in answer to a lawyer’s question about who was his neighbor. Robbers fall upon a man traveling the road to Jericho from Jerusalem. The man is beaten and left half dead on the road. Two men, a priest and a Levite, passed him by. A Samaritan helped him. Anyone traveling this road needed to be alert and aware, mindful, for it was dangerous as the first man found out. The priest and Levite were each mindful; they had duties in and around the Temple for which they needed to be ritually clean. Helping the victim would have distracted them from their purpose for traveling, and so they passed by. The Samaritan had to have a purpose for traveling that dangerous road, and so he was needful and mindful as well, but as he came upon the victim, he did not pass by but took time and effort to help.

Ah, to sit at Jesus’ feet and look upon his face in rapt attention, this is what I need. I look into his eyes, and there I see myself reflected, but as I look more closely, I see others reflected there as well. In sitting with Jesus, I find that I am called to be in relationship with those I see there. The priest and the Levite were needful of one thing, and they weren’t distracted from their purpose, leaving a man wounded. The Samaritan enlarged his singular gaze to see and help the wounded man. My conversational “distractions” on Monday allowed me to see people who were reflected in Jesus’ eyes and become aware of their wounds and need for care. I was able to continue on my journey--my walk—offering them into God’s care for healing and wholeness, and to look even more deeply in Jesus’ eyes and find peace.


Luke 10:41-42
But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her.”



No comments: