Thursday, November 22, 2012

Taking Time to Discern


I have tended to have a rule of thumb about making purchases, though I confess it’s harder, though not impossible, to keep when shopping online. When I have seen something that catches my eye, I often won’t purchase it right away, unless it’s for something that has a deadline—not the item, but what it’s for. I might even go back to see it several times. If it’s not there, then that seals the decision that I won’t buy it. More often than not, I decide not to buy it. It’s part of a discernment process. It’s when I haven’t followed that rule of thumb that I tend to have regrets about making a purchase.

I have a similar discernment style about other decisions as well. I begin to sense a call about something. I have to mull it over, come back to it several times, before I can get a really clear view of what I should do. Sometimes the decision is taken out of my hands because an opportunity has passed by before I acted on it, and that is generally okay. Perhaps it becomes the road not taken, but the road I do take seems richer for the time that was spent waiting.

This week I had a conversation with someone who senses a call that he or she wants to answer, and yet at the same time finds herself or himself apparently reluctant to embrace the call fully. The time spent waiting could be seen as trying to avoid the risk of a new venture. That time could also be seen as weighing the call, allowing it to define itself more fully.

I believe strongly that there can be multiple good roads to take, calls to answer, and that God’s blessings can work through whichever one is taken. That is something for which to be thankful.

Proverbs 1:5-6
Let the wise also hear and gain in learning, and the discerning acquire skill, to understand a proverb and a figure, the words of the wise and their riddles.

No comments: