Thursday, November 8, 2012

What It Is All About


Oh, how easy it is to be sucked into the vortex of anxiety. The closer the election came, the harder it was to remember to live the words I had written. All the hype--the FaceBook postings, the phone calls, the mailings—were each annoying, but they added to each other. And I would think about what it would mean if the other candidate were elected. The nagging of anxious ants crept into my place, and I let them push me out of my center.

I was forgetting something very important. I don’t mean I really forgot, but I certainly wasn’t remembering with my full awareness. God’s will is not about this candidate or that candidate. While I believe that God cares about us in each particular moment, it is arrogant to assume that any one of us at any moment is able to claim that we know the fullness of God’s will and that we will make it happen.

The night of the election, I was reading Hannah’s Child: A Theologian’s Memoir, by Stanley Hauerwas. Towards the end of the book, he writes about the response in our nation to the attacks of 9/11/01. Many had said that the events of that day forever changed our lives, and while there is no denying that the loss of our naiveté has launched us into a whirl of rhetoric and war, Stanley reminds us “that Jesus' death on the cross forever changed all that exists, including us.”[i]

I read those words, and my center, or my awareness of it, returned. Today I wrote to thank him:
In the midst of the latter days of this anxious election season, I found great hope and solace in your book. Any control we seem to have or any lack of control that makes us anxious is all an illusion. This whole endeavor of life is lived with the aegis of our God who is the One who brought us into being, who came into our midst to redeem us and who calls to us without end into the purposeful grace of God’s reign.

Election night, I went to bed without knowing how any state’s status was declared and didn’t learn any results until I woke the next morning. Neither re-elected President Obama nor a potential Romney presidency would or will bring about the kingdom of God. God’s kingdom is already among us and near at hand. Our job is live and worship as though the One we worship makes all the difference in the world, regardless of what the world might think. And that is what it is all about.


[i] (Stanley Hauerwas. Hannah's Child: A Theologian's Memoir (Kindle Location 3777). Kindle Edition.)

No comments: