Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Best Laid Plans


In 1786, the Scot poet Robert Burns turned up a mouse’s nest while plowing a field. He wrote a poetic apology to the mouse:
“But, Mousie, thou art no thy lane [you aren't alone]

In proving foresight may be vain:

The best laid schemes o' mice an' men

Gang aft a-gley, [often go awry] 

An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,

For promised joy.”

How often that feels true to me! I make plans, considering all sorts of details, and then find that I have to reconsider it all because of some unforeseen circumstance. I do find a big difference in how I handle those unforeseen circumstances now than in the past. Part of that difference comes from having more experience. Part of it comes from making a choice to think more about things than simply react. Of course, I don’t do this perfectly by any means. I can still come close to blowing a gasket--at least it feels that way at times.

The Teacher in Ecclesiastes considers all he has done and finds that it is vanity—a chasing after the wind. Sometimes it does feel like that. All my plans are for naught, especially if I make them thinking that it must happen as I engineer it. That would be vanity, a chasing after the wind.

I don’t believe that God throws a monkey wrench into the plans I make, but I do think that when I have to step back and reconsider the situation, I can often find a deeper sense of God’s presence, and a new way to view what I consider to be an inconvenience. This happens in small situations where a plan to get a ride falls through. It happens in a much larger arena as I still work on re-thinking what my life is going to be like without my partner. Even in the midst of loss and pain, in God’s presence, I can find joy.

Ecclesiastes 3:1
For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven.

No comments: