Thursday, May 1, 2014

What Is Most Important?

Over the almost four months from when we started showing the house until we moved last Friday, I grew accustomed to making do with less stuff. On Friday, as I watched all the stuff that was already in storage be moved to a unit we will be able to access, I found myself feeling overwhelmed by it all. I know I need to sort through it and make reasoned decisions about what to do with it, and that this process will have to wait for a while. Until then I can make other decisions about the criteria I will use. What will be of most use? Do I want my memories to be represented by things? How can I best achieve true simplicity?

I remember reading a story about a woman who decided to keep only what she could carry in her pockets. At first, that meant her life was truly simple, but over time she began having more and more pockets in which to carry things, until her life was overtaken by the weight of the contents of her pockets.

If I were to pare my life down, what would be most important? And how would I keep check on the tendency to acquire stuff? I know that I need to have someone who helps me with accountability, who helps me see where my blind spots are, to help me weigh what is most important in my life.



Matthew 6:33-34

But strive first for the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. “So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own. Today’s trouble is enough for today.”

No comments: